Sometimes when printing. The device or computer thinks the printer is offline, actually the printer is on and ready to start printing.
This can be caused by an error between your device or computer and the printer.
Sometimes it maybe as simple as your cable not correctly attached or a simple error coming from a paper-jam.
However a printer appearing as “ Offline ” error can also be down to problems with your printer driver or software. This can depend on the age of your printer or when you have or haven’t installed updates.
Physical Printer and Cable Checks
Check both ends of the USB cable are firmly inserted. If the printer is networked then make sure the Ethernet cable is firmly inserted. If the printer is wireless check your internet connection or make sure it’s connected to your router.
If you’re connected by cable try using the end of the printer cable in multiple ports or sockets on your device.
Try using a different cable to make sure the fault is not with the cable alone. If you’re on a network or wireless device a simple check would be to attach a cable to your computer/or device to make sure your printer is working. Therefore the fault could be with your network connection.
How to set the Printer to “Online” Manually
- Go to the Start icon on the bottom left of your screen then choose Control Panel and then Devices and Printers.
- Right click the printer in question and select “See what’s printing”.
- From the window that opens choose “Printer” from the menu bar at the top.
- Select “Use Printer Online” from the drop down menu.
- Remove All Pending Print Jobs
- From the “See what’s printing” menu mentioned previously right click and “Cancel” any print jobs present.
- With the print jobs removed select “Use Printer Online” again.
- If any suborn print jobs remain then try restating both your PC and printer.
Removing and Reinstalling Your Printer
- Right click the printer from Devices and Printers and select “Remove device”.
- Now add the printer again by selecting the Add a Printer option from Devices and Printers.
- Make sure you are using Windows as an Admin or sign-in as one.
- Type CMD in the search bar.
- With command prompt open type “printui /s /t2” including the spaces to open the Print Server Properties window.
- Now remove the Driver and Package for the printer in question.
- You can now add your printer again by selecting Add a Printer from Devices and Printers.
- Your printer should now be showing as online and allow you to continue printing.
Another way you can get your printer back online.
Follow the steps below
- To attempt to get your printer online. Go to “Settings” and then “Printers.” Right-click on the printer and select “Use Printer Online.”
- Check to see if there are any print jobs and clear them. Double click on the selected printer.
- Go to “Printer Menu” and select “Cancel All Documents.”
- If there was a printer jam or job that may cause the printer to show an error and go offline.
- Try to print again to set the printer back online. Print a test page to see if the error has been resolved.
- Find the printer and switch it to “printer off” and then turn it back on.
- Check to see if the printer has a jam which can create an error.
- Check all the network connections and wireless connections to make sure all connections are working. Restart the device or computer.
- To reinstall the drivers go to “Settings” then “Printers” and select the printer.
- Right-click on the printer and choose “Properties”.
- Under the “General” or “Details” look for the driver button, select it and choose the driver again.
- You may also have to download the driver from the printer manufacturer’s website.
- Reinstall the printer. Under “Printers” in the “Settings” menu, go back select the printer.
- Delete the printer from the menu and reinstall it again through the “Add printer” wizard.
- Use the latest printer driver from the printer manufacturer’s website.
Manage Device ( Windows Help)
- Click “Start,” then select the “Devices and Printers” folder. Or type in “”Devices and Printers” in the search bar open. Or type “Printers” to open the settings menu.
- Right-click the icon for your printer. It may be labelled as part of the device name or printer name. Check your device if you’re unsure. Click the “See What’s Printing” option.
- Or Left-Click the printer and select “Manage Device”
- Click the “Printer” menu in the window that opens and uncheck “Use Printer Offline.” Any items in the print queue for your printer will then print.